[Radiance-general] Luminaire octree

Zack Rogers zrogers at archenergy.com
Thu Jun 23 02:10:45 CEST 2005

Hello,

I apologize if this has been asked and answered -- I couldn't find
anything searching, though I wasn't sure the best keywords to use.

I am trying to create a luminaire octree, which I will then use with
replmarks to place about 20 of these in a larger radiance model.  I am
modeling a psuedo-indirect exterior fixture that consists of a 19' high
pole with essentially 4 arms, each with a lamp aimed straight up at a
reflecting panel.  I have an IES file that represents one arm of this
fixture.  I have successfully modeled the fixture with the 4 arms and am
now wanting to make an octree out of it, including the application of
the 4 ies distributions ( more technically the output from ies2rad -- I
have a brightdata primitive, referring to a dat file describing the
light distribution, that gets applied to an illum surface, then applied
to a box of polygons).  However, when I do this (both frozen and
unfrozen), I do not see any light sources.  Essentially, it seems the
brightdata primitive does not get preserved in the octree.  My resulting
octree has all the physically geometry I wanted, but the glow surface
(used to just illuminate fixture geometry) and the IES distribution
applied to box of illum polygons does not show up.

When I try to separate the geometry with the IES distribution I also
have trouble.  I have an octree representing luminaire geometry and then
I separately add the 4 distributions (which do overlap the geometry
bounding cube) I get some light but definitely not the same distribution
of light I'm expecting and began with.

Any help is appreciated. I am hoping to find a more elegant solution
than just physically modeling (not replmarking) these 20 fixtures and
adding 80 markers for the distributions.

Zack

PS. I can e-mail a rendering if it helps explain the situation (can't
post to a website right now)

--
Zack Rogers
Engineer / Daylighting Designer