[Radiance-general] rpict settings & open area relation

Greg Ward gregoryjward at gmail.com
Thu Jun 9 19:53:54 CEST 2005

Hi Jelle,

Yes, it definitely helps to know what we're talking about.  1000
words/picture, at least!

The problem with the initial frames is that there aren't enough
ambient divisions to find the few and tiny holes you have.  I
recommend setting a much larger value for -ad at the beginning, and
you can gradually relax this as you get more holes in your space.
Just guessing, I'd say you need at least -ad 4096 for the initial
frame, which will take 5 times longer to compute.  (I don't think you
need to increase -as -- 512 should be enough.)

An alternate approach is to use illums in your openings with the
outside distribution mapped to them, as described in Tutorial 0
(Chapter 1 of RwR which is available online if you don't have it from
<http://radsite.lbl.gov/radiance/book>).  The problem is that you'll
probably want to switch at some point from using illum's to just open
holes as you have them once you get a certain number and it stops
paying off in the calculation.  With illum's, you can decrease -ab 3
to -ab 2 and get the same result.

-Greg