[Radiance-general] RE: Radiance-general Digest, Vol 17, Issue 16

Jelle Feringa / EZCT Architecture & Design Research jelle.feringa at ezct.net
Tue Jul 19 17:35:46 CEST 2005

Hi Jack,

Thanks for your suggestions.
To make it clear: I'm not fussing about the workflow I developed to produce
the Radiance output. Those are some of my most dark & inner secrets only to
be shared with certain mailing lists ;)
The idea is to find a way to communicate the abundance of data a Radiance
image contains. One of the more original ways of doing so, is perhaps the
example given _the book_, where Charles Ehrlich is pointing out how to fake
asa/iso exposure of a Radiance image. Which isn't a particularly useful
thing to do, but does give insight to the extent of control a decent
Radiance operator has.

Thanks for supporting the virtual prototype thing... I'm not a fan of
marketing yadi yadi yah, but one has to stand firm when comes to Radiance
accuracy. The point of accurately modeling light & materials is taken, for
sure.

Cheers,

Jelle.

-------

Hey Jelle,

Just a few thoughts here. Explaining rendering systems to clients is
always difficult. I think that unfortunately clients typically just want
good looking images and do not neccessarily care how the images is
"made." However, I think that you are probably on a good track to
consider the results of a Radiance simulation as a virtual prototype,
which means something more than just a "rendering." But in order for
this to hold true, the underlying data, (lighting levels, materials,
geometry and other fundamental assumptions in the scene) used to
generate the simulations needs to be "accurate" to some standard
suitable for the given objective. Filtering an image with tone mapping
offers one way to view the scene in the image.

-Jack