[Radiance-general] image filtering

Jelle Feringa / EZCT Architecture & Design Research jelle.feringa at ezct.net
Tue Jul 19 16:22:34 CEST 2005

Hi all,

Currently I'm working on a booklet showing my Radiance work.

Also some of the technicalities of Radiance are discussed.

I have to agree with what 'Rendering with Radiance' states on this topic;
its hard to explain precisely what makes Radiance fundamentally different
from other rendering solutions. Call me a pretentious prick, but I find it
effective in communicating Radiance' value to consider an image a virtual
prototype rather than just a rendering. To get this point across, its
important to show a potential client the different levels of significance a
Radiance rendering has. It all comes down to filtering in the end.

I think its important to explain how a pcond -h image differs from a
non-filtered image (well, pfilt)

I'm trying to sum up the different levels of information one can extract
from a single Radiance image using:

Pcond,

Glare,

Falsecolor (nits, Dayfact, lux)

Which is basically what one can expect from someone who has reasonable
control over Radiance.

Of course, there's lots of more ways of extracting different levels of
information from Radiance / a Radiance image.

Speaking for myself, I have been messing around piping rtrace intersections
to a .dxf file, showing a beautiful diagram of the way Radiance is computing
its light interactions. But I'm not that funky with image filtering.

Any suggestions of interesting / original ways of extracting information of
a Radiance image?

Cheers,

Jelle.