[Radiance-general] Rendering fields

Greg Ward gregoryjward at gmail.com
Tue Jul 5 17:13:25 CEST 2005

Hi lebele,

I don't have a beautiful solution for this, but the following should
work:

rlam '\!vwrays -vf view1.vp -pa 0 -x 2880 -y 2304' '\!vwrays -vf
view2.vp -pa 0 -x 2880 -y 2304' \
     | rcalc -e 'odd=recno-floor(recno/2)*2-.5' -e '$1=if(odd,$1,$7);
$2=if(odd,$2,$8);$3=if(odd,$3,$9)' \
         -e '$4=if(odd,$4,$10);$5=if(odd,$5,$11);$6=if(odd,$6,$12)' \
     | rtrace -fad (etc.)

The rlam command puts rays corresponding to your two views on each
line together, and rcalc chooses between them based on scanline
oddity.  This requires a lot of ASCII/double conversions, which can
be slow, but since rlam doesn't handle binary floats or doubles, this
is the simplest way.  A more complex solution that could write
doubles directly would use rcalc alone and two view calculations, but
I don't have time to write that one for you.

-Greg