[Radiance-general] Lighting from a light probe

Kirk Thibault kthibault at biomechanicsinc.com
Thu Jan 27 18:48:07 CET 2005

One of the first things to consider is your "up" vector.  Debevec uses
Y up in hs <angmap.cal>, Radiance defaults to Z up.  This is easily
changed in the Debevec <angmap.cal> file by simply replacing the
coordinate (x,y,z) references consistently in the angmap.cal file (see
Debevec's comments in the <angmap.cal> file for an explanation of the
direction convention).

It sounds like you are trying to light the image with a light probe and
also include polygons in the scene that will appear as the synthetic
"room" (floor, ceiling, and 4 walls [N, E, S, W]).  You may have better
luck generating a "cross" format probe, then taking each of the six
cross segments and individually mapping them to the walls of your room.
  Then give each of the polygons the glow and let the HDR-images on each
of the six "room" polygons illuminate your interior scene.

Does that make sense?  it may be easier to try by using one of
Debevec's cross probes on his site and xforming it appropriately so
that the correct segment fills each of the six room polygons - once
this is done you can try illuminating your Rad. scene with it.

Fun!

kirk