[Radiance-general] Evaluation

Greg Ward gregoryjward at gmail.com
Sat Jan 22 03:04:52 CET 2005

Hi Alexa,

I don't really feel I can add that much to this discussion, as I think
validation of software by its author is also something to view with
suspicion, but I agree with you in general that good validation studies
are very difficult to find.  I just wanted to say something about the
following reference.

> Grynberg, A.,“Validation of Radiance”, LBID 1575, LBL Technical
> Information Department, Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory,
> Berkeley, California, July 1989.
> This technical report proved to be inaccessible for me. If anyone has
> a copy, I would be more than happy to read it.

I have a copy of this report, which was prepared by Anat Grynberg
during her second summer internship at LBNL.  However, I do not think
it is particularly useful as a numerical validation.  It focuses mostly
on a "qualitative study" to demonstrate that Radiance can model scenes
with a realistic level of detail.  Much of the work surrounded the
creation of the well-known LBNL conference room model.  It also covers
the initial design of the imaging gonioreflectometer, but does not
contain much in the way of quantitative comparisons.  Anat did perform
a quantitative comparison based on a previous study of Superlite,
comparing it to measurements in a skydome the previous summer, but this
work was never published.  It is out of date at this point, anyway, as
the version of Radiance she was using lacked some of the better
techniques it has now for handling large area sources.

However, if you are interested in seeing these early studies, I can dig
them up and copy them with some effort.  The color images of course
will not come out, but you can get a flavor, at least.  The more recent
studies are much better.  These were undertaken mainly because nothing
else existed at the time.