[Radiance-general] Evaluation

Alexa I. Ruppertsberg a.i.ruppertsberg at Bradford.ac.uk
Fri Jan 21 17:09:17 CET 2005

Hi Rob, Jack, Martin and Christoph,

thanks very much for your replies. Together with Christoph's survey I
have now a better understanding of the usage. I would term this more
like a 'relative' use: how do two (or more) design solutions compare to
each other. A will give you more light on the desk than B, e.g.

The other emerging topic seems to me that of 'nice' pictures for the
clients. Once you have a tool with which you can simulate the building
and can produce a picture, there is the danger that clients
'over'-interprete the image ('this is how it's going to look like'). Or
put the other way, the image they can see either on a CRT or in a
printed version does not reflect truely what the building is probably
going to look because of the limited dynamic range of the medium (CRT or
paper).

> Good question.  Radiance itself has been the subject of many validation
> studies,
May I challenge this? Validation studies I am aware of are (if anyone
knows of more then please tell me):

Grynberg, A.,“Validation of Radiance”, LBID 1575, LBL Technical
Information Department, Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory, Berkeley,
California, July 1989.
This technical report proved to be inaccessible for me. If anyone has a
copy, I would be more than happy to read it.

Khodulev, A. and E. Kopylov, “Physically accurate lighting simulation in
computer graphics software”, 6. International conference on Computer
Graphics and Visualization, St. Petersburg, Russia, July 1-5, 1996.
http://www.keldysh.ru/pages/cgraph/articles/pals/
This is a website and describes a white-box scenario, i.e a scenario for
which you can actually calculate the solution analytically. But how much
is this a valid scenario for complex illumination situations?
I have my own opinion about website-only references.

Houser, K.W., D.K. Tiller, and I.C. Pasini, “Toward the accuracy of
lighting simulations in physically based computer graphics software”,
Journal of the Illuminating Engineering Society, 28(1), Winter 1999,
117-129.
the conclusion is that RADIANCE does not do what it says on the package
(I have my own opinion about this paper)

Ubbelohde, M.S. and Humann, C. “Comparative evaluation of four
daylighting software programs”, 1998 ACEEE Summer Study on Energy
Efficiency in Buildings Proceedings, American Council for an
Energy-Efficient Economy, 1998.
I asked the author to send me a copy of the paper about 18 months ago
and I am still waiting.

Mardaljevic, J., “Validation of a lighting simulation program under real
sky conditions”, Lighting research and Technology, 27(4), 1995, 181-188.
That is what I call validation: comparison of simulation output and
measurements from the real environment.
In my personal opinion there is no validation study apart from John
Mardaljevic's work.

Christoph, I saw your 2001 paper with Walkenhorst in the reference
section of the survey. Is that a validation?

Rushmeier,Ward,Piatko,Sanders,Rust, 1995,Comparing Real and Synthetic
Images: Some Ideas About Metrics, 6th Eurographics Workshop on Rendering.
this paper appears on the Radiance site and may I cite from the paper
(p. 3, section 1.2): 'There are clearly very high levels of uncertainty
in the measurements made in this experiment.' Now, that paper didn't set
out as a validation for Radiance, but tried to do soemthing else, so in
a way it's not an appropriate reference for a validation study, but it
could have been, if measurements would have been taken more carefully
and compared to the real room.

Can you please tell me whose work I'm missing here? Or do we mean
different things when we talk about 'validaton'?
I hope I haven't upset anyone, because that's not what I intended to do.
  I am just in the pursuit of evidence and if it is out there, then
please tell me.

>>c) what magnitude of error is acceptable for your work?
I understand that the 'unpredictability' of the sky is the biggest
problem basically.

Thanks again,

Alexa

Dr. Alexa I. Ruppertsberg