[Radiance-general] Re: Problems using hdrgen for hdri generation

Greg Ward gregoryjward at gmail.com
Fri Jan 7 04:58:37 CET 2005

Hi Rob,

Short answer to your long question:  3 exposures separated by 1 f-stop
each is not enough for an HDR image, in my opinion.

I find that 2 stops on either side is often less than I need for
outdoor shots that include bright clouds.  Also, I wish the shortest
exposure on my Olympus 4040 was faster than 1/800th sec., as that still
leaves bright areas saturated.  (I used to have an Olympus 3030 and it
was the same.)  The manufacturers do seem to be headed the wrong
direction when it comes to HDR these days.  I've also noticed that they
like to add all kinds of auto exposure curves and crap like that which
totally screws me up.  To be honest, you're better off getting a C-3040
from some discount place than a newer, fancier cameras.  That goes for
SLRs as well.  I honestly don't think they're worth the extra bucks,
unless you happen to have a slew of lenses you have to justify owning.