[Radiance-general] Re: why I got such blotchy results?

Lars O. Grobe grobe at gmx.net
Tue Feb 22 10:38:44 CET 2005

Hi Huang,

I think what you observe is a problem of the indirect calculation. If I
guess that the only light source in your room is the descended light,
which may be defined by using a manufacturers ies (is this the case?),
than it is not that easy for the software to calculate the indirect
illumination of the room correctly without finetuning a bit. First try
to set a reasonable -ab value, maybe 2, depending on how many bounces
you need to come from a surface to the source (it is just a simple
room, so try 2 for the beginning). More important settings may be the
-ad, -ar and -ad values, which define, generally speaking, the accuracy
of the calculation of the indirect values (imagine a resolution used in
the step of the indirect calculation, which is not the same as the
final image resolution but must be coarse enough to find all the
differences in the indirect values over your surfaces). On the other
hand, setting these values to too accurate numbers is dangerous and
will give terrible rendering times.

Just take a look at this list's archives, also at the documentation
(there should be a small text file in the software documentation just
about rpict settings), and, if possible, at the book Rendering with
Radiance.

And try to find out what values are actually used by Desktop Radiance
and how to influence them. If you want to rely on the GUI and it's
defaults, this is the wrong list here, you need to know what's
happening.

Good luck ;-)

CU Lars.