[Radiance-general] falsecolor and specific isocontours

Jack de Valpine jedev at visarc.com
Fri Feb 4 17:50:33 CET 2005

Hey Kirk,

I originally used trial and error, some programming knowledge, existing
cal files and the "Texturing and Modeling" text to learn how to
implement procedural materials. Although, as far as I am concerned there
is a huge amount still to learn!

-Jack

Kirk Thibault wrote:

> You can say thanks to Greg - I spent some frustrating hours trying to
> determine the syntax of the conditional "if" -
> I wasn't sure if it was some language that most unix people knew, or
> some specific scripting thing, or some C variant.
>
> Turns out Greg made up a whole new functional language....I thought,
> "you've got to freakin' be kidding me". At least
> I felt better knowing that this was a Radiance-specific thing and I
> was slightly less of an idiot than I normally am,
> and it gave me an even deeper appreciation of Greg's effort and
> commitment to Radiance.
>
> There is also a discussion of the functional Language in Rendering
> With Radiance - don't have the book here at work,
> so I don't know the page numbers off the top of my head.
>
> Kirk
>
> On Feb 3, 2005, at 3:26 PM, Jack de Valpine wrote:
>
>     Hey,
>
>     I'll also say thanks to Kirk as well! I feel like a dummy, I had
>     never seen filefmts.pdf before! Ah, so much to learn...
>
>     -Jack
>
>     Rob Guglielmetti wrote:
>
>     Hey Rob,
>
>     I think learning the functional language is kind of a zen thing. The
>     best way to learn is to look at some of the simpler cals to see how
>     things are done. There are also some examples in RwR and
>     rayinit.cal is
>     the source of many useful things. And also in this case the man
>     page for
>     pcomb also has some variables that are specific to that tool (li,
>     lo...)
>
>     Thanks Jack, and thanks Kirk, that filefmts.pdf has a boatload of
>     info
>     about this stuff. Carsten Bauer actually tried to beat this stuff
>     into my
>     head a couple months ago, and there was a glimmer of
>     understanding, but
>     then I got distracted, and now I am back to square one on this.
>     *sigh* So
>     much to learn.
>
>     Jack, I presume you used pcomb to do that shading impact study
>     that you
>     presented when we were in Berkeley?
>
>     - Rob Guglielmetti
>     www.rumblestrip.org

>     --
>     # John E. de Valpine
>     # president
>     #
>     # visarc incorporated
>     # http://www.visarc.com
>     #
>     # channeling technology for superior design and construction

#	John E. de Valpine
#	president
#
#	visarc incorporated
#	http://www.visarc.com
#
#	channeling technology for superior design and construction