[Radiance-general] sharing indirect values for parallel processing?

Georg Mischler schorsch at schorsch.com
Fri Feb 4 15:59:06 CET 2005

Lars O. Grobe wrote:

> > The most straightforward solution to our problem would probably
> > be to use lock files, as Greg suggested in earlier discussions.
> > Unfortunately nobody has found the time yet to actually implement
> > that. If anyone wants to volunteer, please move the discussion of
> > your proposal to the dev-list.
>
> Hi,
>
> as I won't be able to help on the implementation, I won't bring this to
> the dev-list for now ;-) However, I guess the only needed feature of
> the shared fs used is a working byte range locking, right? So I will
> find out if the fs provided by openmosix (mfs) has this feature, which
> would make a set of mosix nodes a great radiance installation.

Ambient files are only written at the end, so file locking
and byte range locking have the same effect.
We also need a solution that works on all platforms and on
all file systems. Requiring third party software just to get
reliable file sharing is clearly out of the question.

-schorsch

--
Georg Mischler  --  simulations developer  --  schorsch at schorsch com
+schorsch.com+  --  lighting design tools  --  http://www.schorsch.com/