[Radiance-general] sharing indirect values for parallel processing?

Georg Mischler schorsch at schorsch.com
Thu Feb 3 14:34:49 CET 2005

Christopher Kings-Lynne wrote:

> > Over a year ago, there was quite a bit of talk on the dev list about
> > supporting ambient value sharing through Samba or coming up with some
> > workaround for busted NFS lock managers, but nothing was ever done about
> > it.  People on this list can tell you better than I what versions of
> > Linux or NFS you need to look out for.  In general, I think OS X and
> > FreeBSD are solid with respect to NFS file locking.  Solaris might be
> > good as well.
>
> Have you seen memcached?
>
> http://www.danga.com/memcached/

That's interesting as a concept, but doesn't really solve our
problem. Memcached accelerates in-memory caching of data.
Radiance needs to coordinate access to a file on disk, where
performance is important, but not as critical as resolving access
conflicts.

The most straightforward solution to our problem would probably
be to use lock files, as Greg suggested in earlier discussions.
Unfortunately nobody has found the time yet to actually implement
that. If anyone wants to volunteer, please move the discussion of
your proposal to the dev-list.

-schorsch

--
Georg Mischler  --  simulations developer  --  schorsch at schorsch com
+schorsch.com+  --  lighting design tools  --  http://www.schorsch.com/