[Radiance-general] Radiance plug-in for 3DS

Jeffrey McGrew toast at becausewecan.org
Tue Dec 20 22:47:10 CET 2005

The trouble is that I have no easy and fast way to bring something from
Revit into Radiance. It's a pain. I'd love to hear a solution.

I'm using Autodesk Revit (heavily). I model my Building. I export out to
DWG, and then bring that into 3D Studio, which is smart enough to bring
along the materials I'm using in Revit into it. I then export out a nice
3DS file from 3D Studio, and run the 3DS2MGF -> MGF2RAD style of
conversion, and it gets most of the way through the conversion but then
hits a 'Unexpected EOF'. If I then render the RAD file things are
missing, for it didn't finish the conversion. It happens with this
script as well.

The only other ways I can figure to bring Revit models into Radiance is
to export them out as a DXF, and do a DXF2RAD, which also crashes and
doesn't work. Or I can export them out to a DWG, open them in AutoCAD,
and then export them out as a RAD using TORAD, but this is now broken
for it hasn't been updated for the newer versions of AutoCAD, which are
all I've got.

The DXF's out of Revit seem to crash Blender too, sadly. Now, I've been
told (by Autodesk) that in Revit 9 there will be a fix to make the DXF's
'better' but I have no idea if it's going to help my troubles, and
without pulling the Revit models into 3D Studio first you'd have to
remap all the materials anyways, which will eat up too much time.

So I'm left with two options: Buy the Radiance plug-in for 3D Studio, or
try to write an Radiance exporter using Revit's API directly (or wait
until someone else does). Since Radiance isn't my core business, just a
rendering engine that I enjoy using and would like to use more of, I
really wish I had an easier way of getting from Revit into Radiance, for
today it's a totally pain in the rear.

I had hoped that maybe this script would filter out whatever is causing
that EOF, but it doesn't seem too. Oh, I'm running Radiance on Cygwin,
maybe I should give this a go on the G4 when I get home and see if I get
the same result...

Thanks for the script, and sorry for the long story.

Jeffrey McGrew