[Radiance-general] Sun too close to zenith

Gregory J. Ward gregoryjward at gmail.com
Wed Dec 7 23:39:28 CET 2005

Hi Rob,

I'm not exactly sure why I put this in there, it was so long ago.  I
may have simply been duplicating someone else's algorithm, or I may
have found problems related to the sun at zenith.  The whole sky
distribution is normalized to the zenith value, so having the sun too
near could be a problem, or it might have been paranoia on my part.

You can try removing lines 218-225 in gensky.c and recompiling without:

	if (!overcast && altitude > 87.*PI/180.) {
		fprintf(stderr,
"%s: warning - sun too close to zenith, reducing altitude to 87
degrees\n",
				progname);
		printf(
"# warning - sun too close to zenith, reducing altitude to 87 degrees
\n");
		altitude = 87.*PI/180.;
	}

Try a few data points where the sun is at the zenith and see what
happens.

-Greg