[Radiance-general] What's causing these artifacts???

Gregory J. Ward gregoryjward at gmail.com
Tue Dec 6 04:14:52 CET 2005

Hi Marcus,

Are you using rad at all for your renderings, or are you setting
parameters by hand?  You wouldn't be performing an overture
calculation with different -a* settings (in particular -ab and/or -
av), would you?  The dark splotches look suspiciously like bad values
in the ambient file at the start of the calculation.  Is that
possible?  What are your rendering parameters?  It helps a lot in
debugging a problem.  Your floor looks overly bright and even
compared to the rest of the surfaces.  How is it defined?  Why aren't
there any shadows under the chair legs?  What is your overall scene
size (run oconv -d on the octree) and your -ar setting?

The bright splotches in your last example could be caused by the
bright, narrow opening surrounding the skylight.  I would probably
insert a rectangle flush with the ceiling and use mkillum to compute
its effective output distribution to eliminate this particular artifact.

-Greg