[Radiance-general] HDR Image Accuracy Problem

Rob Guglielmetti rpg at rumblestrip.org
Thu Aug 25 16:53:36 CEST 2005

Fitzpatrick, Halley D wrote:

> Hello! This is my first post/question...
>
> I have been using Radiance on and off for about a year and a half, and
> now I am delving into high dynamic range images. I am trying to create
> accurate and precise false color luminance maps from HDR images.  <snip>

Hi Halley,

Don't know if you remember me, but I met you at AEC a couple months ago
when I interviewed here...

Anyhoo, have you read the photosphere intro?  I know Photosphere is an
OSX application, but you should download it (from www.anyhere.com)
anyway just for the "getting started" guide. It is an excellent
reference for, well, getting started with HDR photography.  The first
thing you need to do is shoot a good scene and use that for capturing
your camera response curve.  Come to think of it, what *are* you using
to create the HDRs?  I highly recommend Greg's Photosphere, or if you
don't have a Mac handy, the linux-based hdrgen.  Once you have the
camera response saved, you can try to get some more hdr sequences and
test the accuracy again.  Bear in mind that really high dynamic range
scenes are difficult if not impossible to capture in their entirety.  In
particular, direct sun is the real challenge.  Also make sure that auto
white balance is switched off, and that you are using aperture priority
to control the exposures.

The way to test if you are capturing the entire dynamic range is that
your darkest image should have no white pixels, and your brightest image
should have no black pixels.  Also bear in mind that if you are
comparing luminances at areas of very high contrast, you will also have
trouble getting accurate samples from your luminance meter, and thus
will have trouble getting numbers to match up.  If you follow the
getting started guide, shoot a good scene for the camera response curve,
and take sufficient images to capture the dynamic range of your scenes,
you *can* get accurate HDR images. I've got some crap around here
somewhere that shows what happens when you don't take enough shots of
the scene, and I also have my calibration image sequence, I just have to
find them.  They may be useful to you, so if you want them I'll send
them to you (when I find them).

Have fun.

- Rob Guglielmetti
www.rumblestrip.org