[Radiance-general] Obtaining RGB output data

Alexa I. Ruppertsberg a.i.ruppertsberg at Bradford.ac.uk
Thu Aug 25 11:39:02 CEST 2005

Hi Adriana,

if I'm not mistaken you want to look into the use of 'pvalue'.
Note, that RGB values will give you some idea about the colorimetric
properties of any point in the scene, but if you are remotely interested
in accurate data - your comparison with the spectroradiometer suggests
this - then you might want to look into spectral rendering. You can also
do that with RADIANCE. see e.g. Yang & Maloney, 2001, Vision Research,
41:2581-2600 (the appendix).
As far as I remember RADIANCE will return RGB values < 0 and > 1, and
it's up to you how you interpret this data, i.e. outside of the
RGB-gamut of the default phosphors (also somewhere defined in RADIANCE),
which will definitely become an issue with day-light scenes.

Good luck!

alexa

alira at gsd.harvard.edu wrote:
>    hi all,
>
>    I'm starting to use Radiance and I want to work with it in order to
> simulate both daylight and artificial light. I want to change both the
> RGB propeties of the light source and the materials. After Radiance
> analizes the scene one can obtain as the output data, the luminance of
> any point I select in my scene. Besides knowing what is the luminance
> in any desired point, I'm very interested in knowing what is the RGB
> component also of any point of the scene (such as if I were measuring
> the RGB spectral component in several points of a room with a
> spectometer). Is that possible? And if yes, what do you recommend me to
> do in order to obtain this as an output data?
>
>    I would appreciate any help.
>
> Than you,
> -adriana

Dr. Alexa I. Ruppertsberg