[Radiance-general] instance problem?

Lars O. Grobe grobe at gmx.net
Mon Apr 18 13:52:53 CEST 2005

Hi!

> I'm only guessing, but is it possible that you have two surfaces
> coincident in that plane?

No, I don't think so. I checked everything this morning. The silly and
interesting about this is that I get the wall behind the affected
surfaces as some kind of mask. I attach one more rvu-screenshot to
illustrate this. As you can see, the surface is black, if there is a
wall behind, and bright (colorpict-modifier visible) if the window
opening (or no geometry at all) is behind. So it seams to be some kind
of geometry mess that I created here. Also, this behaviour changes with
oconv -r settings.

I use instances heavily in my scene. I have been warned not to do so
(and of course, most of my instances don't fit into a cube, but are all
kinds of random geometries). On the other hand, the model is too huge
to be rendered without the use of instances, and I also cannot divide
the model into some cube-like parts, as there is a logical structure of
building elements in this building which defines how the model is
built. So maybe I just corrupted the scene by using too many
(overlapping) instances' octrees? This is the only explanaition I could
imagine at the moment.

TIA+CU Lars.