[Radiance-general] clipping planes exposing object interiors?

Carsten Bauer cbauer- at t-online.de
Mon Apr 11 19:01:28 CEST 2005

Hi Paul,

sorry, with that separate cache I was referring to a still somewhat
experimental radzilla feature ('scene') which is not present in classic
Radiance

sticking to classic Radiance, or in fact general, the key point to keep
in mind is perhaps that the ambient cache is independent of the
geometry. This means except for the surface normal present at creation,
there is no other geometry info the ambient cache can use for deciding
if it's 'allowed' to use a cached value or not. So it is vital to
use a correct -ar resolution value, otherwise the cache cannot adapt
itself adequately (means closer spaced sample points) in regions with
high variation of illumination.
(Maybe expressed a bit simplified, Greg pelase correct me if I'm wrong :-).

Taken this little amount of info known to the algorithm, the ambient
cache in fact does quite a good job in sorting out things, and you see
the effect of a higer -ar value in your rendering, the  amount of spill
light in the left wall is much lesser now.

Generally, I would not bother too much about this, as in fact the hollow
wall is an unphysical situation anyway. In reality, there's conrete
inside. And a real, i.e. thick wall also means a greater distance
between points outside and inside the room, and together with an
adequate resolution value this makes it much easier then for the ambient
algorithim to get things right, i.e. not use values from the outside for
the inside.

-cb