[Radiance-general] clipping planes exposing object interiors?

Axel Jacobs a.jacobs at londonmet.ac.uk
Fri Apr 8 02:29:00 CEST 2005

> Thanks much for the suggestion. I’d also thought of light leaks as the
> culprit so I overlapped the objects in formz to ensure there would be
> no light leaks before exporting as an obj file. I tried the -av 0 0 0
> setting but am still getting rendered wall cavities.
> settings were: rpict -vf scene-c1.vp -av 0 0 0 -ab 2 -ad 1000 -x 7000
> -y 5000 rm.oct | pfilt -1 -x /2 -y /2 > scene-c1a.pic

I think the overlapping parts are exactly the problem. Radiance does some
interpolation between ambient samples. A new indirect sample is only
triggered if the new point is outside of the sphere of influence of all
previously computed ones. This is controlled by the -a* options. The
radius of those spheres is

r_min = max_scene_dimension * aa / ar

The light from the ambient sampling can spill over into areas that would
normally not receive indirect light. Could you post a blow-up image of the
bottom part of the left-hand wall? And see what fiddling with the -aa and
-ar options results in.

Axel