[Radiance-general] Illums and 3 Sided Polygons

Greg Ward gward at lmi.net
Wed Sep 1 23:12:28 CEST 2004

Hi Marcus,

Didn't we have this conversation a few weeks ago?  Look at the recent
postings from Mark de la Fuente and the various responses regarding
illum's and illum shapes.

The simplistic source sampling code in Radiance assumes that a
rectangular distribution of rays may be used.  This is done more in the
interest of speed than anything else, but it does place some limits on
the shapes of sources you can model.  The closer to a rectangle (or
parallelepiped) your source is, the closer to -dj 1 you can go with
your source sampling.  Triangles are problematic because Radiance fits
them into a rectangle and distributes the rays about this rectangle's
center.  In the case of a right triangle, this sends a ray exactly to
the center of the hypoteneus, and floating point errors take over from
there to produce a hit about 50% of the time.  Not a good situation,
and other triangles guarantee we'll miss every time with this sampling
strategy.

A better approach for illum's, as I mentioned in one of my earlier
your opening, disregarding the actual shape of your window elements.
For a large window with many elements, you're better off using a single
illum to cover it, anyway, so you don't send multiple samples when it
isn't really necessary.  Mkillum will compute the correct average for
the larger illum surface.  So long as this surface doesn't intersect
the walls or have similar problems with its fit to the window, the
result should be a reasonable approximation.

The "aiming failure" warning message should be taken seriously, unless
you happen to know from geometric arguments that it is a rare condition
generating this error.  In general, it means that you are
underestimating contributions from the associated source or illum.