[Radiance-general] Illums and 3 Sided Polygons

Marcus Jacobs marcdevon at hotmail.com
Wed Sep 1 22:59:08 CEST 2004

Dear Radiance Gurus,

I have noticed that Radiance does not like 3 sided polygons for illums. My
understanding is that a minimum of 4 vertices are needed (Out of curiosity,
I understand that shadow rays are traced to the centroid of an object.
Unless the triangle is obtuse, it seem that it should be simple to find its
centroid.)

I would like to know whether or not the rendering time and accuracy would be
adversely affected by using 3 sided polygons as illums and living with the
"aiming failure" error messages. The reason why I ask is because sometimes I
use windows that have some curved profiles (such as gothic windows) that can
not be modeled as 4 sided polygons (my modeling software creates them as a
mesh of 3 sided polygons by default). I may be able to export some of the
polygons as 4 sided but for some windows, there is no getting around having
some polygons 3-sided. Even when I do export some polygons as 4 sided, there
still are some instances when I get the "aiming failure" error message. As
far as I can tell, the polygons are non-concave and have no opening. I have
looked at creating an illum object outside of the window but unfortunately
this approach leads to some goofy reflections on the inside. Any
suggestions?

Marcus