[Radiance-general] Approximating the gross daylight flux through venetian blinds.

Greg Ward gward at lmi.net
Fri Oct 29 21:15:34 CEST 2004

I haven't read this paper -- thanks for pointing it out.  I know that
Marilyne Anderson is continuing her measurement work now that she's at
MIT.

Regarding your suggestion with the BRTDfunc, if I understand you
correctly, you are suggesting that it might be possible to simulate the
apprearance of slats in the model.  I agree, but I think that might
defeat the purpose of using such a model, as we would be reintroducing
irregularities in the light coming through that would then require
heavier sampling to resolve.  That is the current problem with venetian
blind models -- it's not that Radiance can't handle the complex
geometry, quite the contrary.  It is simply that the slats themselves
cause a large variance in the penetrating radiation, to the point where
many ray samples are needed to resolve the agregate (i.e., integrated)
behavior.

I hope I didn't misunderstand what you were saying.