[Radiance-general] Radiance Vs Viz

Peter Apian-Bennewitz apian at pab-opto.de
Wed May 19 06:44:56 CEST 2004

Mark de la Fuente wrote:

> I've been having a discussion with the people at my office about the
> differences between Radiance and 3D Studio Viz & Lightscape.  (They
> are used to using Lightscape and don't know anything about Radiance)
> And I was hoping some of you might have some comparison or contrasting
> comments on this subject since I'm sure most of you have had some
> experience with this sort of discussion.

Hi Mark,
there's a 2001 Lightscape/Radiance comparison at
http://www.pab-opto.de/  , although it would be worth redoing the calcs
with Radiance+photonmap, to show the differences clearly.

>  Even though we are specifically talking about Radiance Vs Lightscape
> & Viz, I think this is in part more a comparison about radiosity Vs
> raytracing.  From what I know, the big problem with radiosity is that
> it simplifies things and assumes lambertian reflections.  This is
> obviously a deviation from reality, but I assume it's still possible
> to achieve a pretty accurate calculation of some sort depending on the
> situation.  ...

Most materials show a specular peak at low incident angle.  Interesting
materials for light redirection are  non-lambertian, starting with
simple structures like outside louvers.
-Peter

--
 pab-opto, Freiburg, Germany, http://www.pab-opto.de
 [see web page to check digital email signature]