[Radiance-general] Re: measuring color

Axel Jacobs a.jacobs at londonmet.ac.uk
Thu May 13 01:56:04 CEST 2004

>> Talking about the limitations of CRT's. Has somebody seen
>> DLP-technology displays in action and maybe even made some colour
>> measurements? Apparently, the colour resolution can be cranked up to
>> 15 bits per channel and the luminance range is also much bigger. I
>> only wonder, if the 15-bit resolution per channel is actually really
>> an improvement in terms of colour resolution for a given luminance
>> level (in comparison to a traditional 8 bit resolution)  or is
>> basically necessary to cover the increased luminance range?

We have just finished a project calles SynthLight, which sets out to teach
lighting through 3D (well, it's only stereoscopic images and movies).
http://www.learn.londonmet.ac.uk/packages/synthlight/index.html

We experimented a lot with different display technologies for our 3D
stuff. While DLP seems to be the be all and end all of projector
technologies (high output, contrasts in the range of 1000 .. 5000), the
colour rendering is really what lets them down. There are at least 3
generations of DLP projectors out now (DLP is a technology developed and
licensed by Texas Instruments), all seem to have issues with colour
rendering. If you compare the colours on a computer screen (TFT or CRT)
and compare them to a DLP projector hooked up to the same computer, you
will find that the colour rendering of the projector is noticeably (very
much) poorer. For colour, LCD projectors seem to be much better, although
they have less of a contrast ratio (several 100:1, rather than several
1000:1).

This link
http://www.audioholics.com/techtips/specsformats/displays_LCD_DLP_plasma1.html
has a very nice comarison chart, although it doesn't mention colour as
such (you will have to trust me on this one...).

Cheers

Axel