[Radiance-general] Re: measuring color

Greg Ward gward at lmi.net
Wed May 12 17:57:56 CEST 2004

This is an interesting thread.  I just wanted to add a couple of notes.

First, you should check out the products available from X-rite for
spectral measurement:

	http://www.xrite.com/product_overview.aspx?Line=24

I have used their spectrophotometers in the past, to good effect.  I
think they're prices are competitive, but not what I'd call "cheap."

Second, a quick explanation of what macbethcal does.  Macbethcal takes
a captured image (scanned, photographed, etc.) of a Macbeth
ColorChecker chart and attempts to derive a transformation that takes
this capture to the correct values known for the Macbeth chart.  It
first computes an overall response function for each channel using the
6 gray patches at the bottom of the chart.  Then, it computes a 3x3
color matrix based on a least squares minimization of error on the
unsaturated colors.  Saturated colors are allowed to go "out of gamut"
as needed to find a reasonable solution.

In my experience, this process works well for flatbed scanners and some
capture methods, but sometimes does poorly with certain digital
cameras.  I do not know why.  As Alexa and Jack pointed out, macbethcal
does not account for changes in the illumination source -- this is
assumed to be part of the capture process (i.e., a scanner with a
builtin source), and since the purpose is to derive a transform that
recovers colors under this souce, this is appropriate.

If you wish to simulate general reflectance spectra under different
illuminants, I suggest you go with a full spectral measurement and
follow the procedure outlined in the following paper:

	http://www.anyhere.com/gward/papers/egwr02/

Third, I wanted to point Alexa and other interested readers to the
following reference, which explains the parts of human vision pcond
attempts to simulate and the algorithms behind it:

	http://radsite.lbl.gov/radiance/papers/lbnl39882/tonemap.pdf

I'll be the first to admit that it is not a perfect simulation of human
vision, and this is an ongoing area of research.  (Try a websearch on
"color appearance models" to get an idea.)  However, I think others
will agree that pcond can be useful, and is an improvement over the
standard "linear with clamping" method for image display.