[Radiance-general] replmarks and mirroring

Jack de Valpine jedev at visarc.com
Mon May 10 15:45:22 CEST 2004

Hi Lars,

If you mirror a marker triangle in cad (for example autocad), then the
normal ends up pointing the opposite direction. Thus in radiance if you
use a set of markers that include mirrored and unmirrored triangles then
some of your instance objects will actually point down. One way to
resolve this is to use two sets of markers (as previously pointed out in
another email). If you create a mirrored instance of the object, then
you are actually reusing the object geometry and conserving memory. The
way to do this is create an compiled octree version of the object and
then create an instance that mirrors it appropriately around x y or z as
follows:

void instance foo.mirror
6 foo.oct -m<x,y, or z> -t xt yt zt
0
0

Since you are simply resuing foo.oct then you conserve the memory. I
must admit that I have to play around with -m<x,y,z> to figure out how
the object mirrors correctly and you may need to transform the object to
get the position to work out with respect to your marker.

-Jack