[Radiance-general] radiance error message

Georg Mischler schorsch at schorsch.com
Tue May 4 19:38:48 CEST 2004

Jeffrey McGrew wrote:

> Rob Guglielmetti wrote:
>
> > And, yes, Linux is more fun (or any other kind of ix-like os), but you
> > won't have AutoCad on Linux (if you don't start using AutoCad on Linux
> > with Wine, which is afaik possible).
>
> Somewhat possible. It's a challenge from the research I've done, and
> might not really work with the newer versions of AutoCAD. I know that
> it doesn't work for Revit :'(

If in doubt, I'd rather recommend VMware (www.vmware.com).
You'll get a full Windows system of your choice running inside
Linux, and the performance penalty is hardly noticeable. It's not
free, but after you paid $$$$$ for Autocad, the cost should be
negligible in coparison.

> Hey, on another note, I can't get TORAD or RADOUT to work under
> AutoCAD 2004/2005.

I don't see why Torad wouldn't work, but I haven't tried that
for a very long time. If you're really that desperate, it will
probably only require minor changes.
Btw. Rob: Torad is most likely the "nifty LISP routine" doing
the nested block unrolling. It's more than 10 years old.
Radout is basically a rewrite of that functionality in C/C++.

The current Radout binaries won't work. The binary API has
changed between 2002 and 2004, which means that ObjectARX
applications need to be recompiled against the new libraries.
Although Autodesk recently forced me to upgrade (which brought my
budget into serious danger), I haven't yet found the time to do
that. Actually, after I had to replace my computer last month,
I still need to get Vmware running again. Besides that, I'm not
sure if I also need to get a current version of VC++, and there
may be a few other dependencies. In short, anyone buying a copy
or Rayfront will help accelerate the process... ;)

-schorsch

--
Georg Mischler  --  simulations developer  --  schorsch at schorsch com
+schorsch.com+  --  lighting design tools  --  http://www.schorsch.com/