[Radiance-general] Still having trouble, new pics........

Greg Ward gward at lmi.net
Wed Mar 31 18:43:26 CEST 2004

Hi John,

Firstly, you should move your illum's to just inside the windows,
rather than having them on the outside.  This should reduce the bizarre
color artifacts you're seeing.  Secondly, you should increase your -ar
parameter a bit and simultaneously increase -ad and -as parameter
values.  This should reduce the splotches you are seeing in corners.
Decreasting the -aa value might help as well, but I would try that next
if these suggestions don't solve the problem.

-Greg

> From: "John Sutherland" <js0754 at bris.ac.uk>
> Date: March 29, 2004 10:01:29 AM PST

Firstly, to Lars grobe in reply to how I mapped the texture on to the
surface of the book from my last post. The book was made in Maya, nurbs
surface -> polygon -> obj2mesh , the texture mapping was also done in
maya, basically it’s a planar map going straight through the book as
though you were reading it. The texture was just a photo looking
straight onto the book, and the planar map causes it to stretch and
bend on the surface the right amount. Wasn’t tricky at all.

Secondly, was a bit confused by Georg’s advice when you said –aa should
be increased, did you mean increased in accuracy? ie putting aa to a
lower value? Or did you mean increasing aa by setting it to a higher
value? Because the lower the aa value the more accurate the picture, so
I can only see setting aa lower than .15 as a good thing not higher?

Well anyway I definitely don’t think aa is the problem anyway. Since
the last renders I sent out ive brightened the stained glass a bit so
more light gets in, and the results this time are pretty crazy! The
glass is rose window at the front is projecting loads of blotches of
colour.