[Radiance-general] solarbr

Greg Ward gward at lmi.net
Wed Mar 31 18:33:54 CEST 2004

Hi Axel,

It's probably fair to say that gensky can't be trusted to produce
accurate absolute luminances for the sun OR the sky at ANY altitude.
Skylight is simply too variable to be pinned down, even on average,
without considering the local climate.  In the case of low altitude
sunlight in particular, there are a lot of highly variable atmospheric
effects at play, which is why we don't see many reruns of the same
sunset.  In the code for gensky, I was going by some general ballpark
values taken from Wyszecki and Stiles (Color Science), and it's a
really crude estimate.

For accurate values, you'll have to come up with your own "sources" and
set the -B and -R options accordingly.

-Greg