[Radiance-general] Re: falsecolor and textlabels question

Greg Ward gward at lmi.net
Wed Mar 17 20:29:18 CET 2004

Rpict doesn't "remember" the setting from a previous run, if that's
what you're thinking.  It only remembers it from previous appearances
of the option.  For example:

% rpict -i

turns irradiance computation on, but

% rpict -i -i

turns it off again.

% rpict -i -i -i -i -i -i+

turns it  on.  (Had you counting, didn't I?)  If your intention is to
switch the option "on", then -i+ (or equivalently, -iY -iy -iT -it -i1
all mean the same) is probably better.

The reason rpict pays attention to multiple appearances of an option is
in case you have aliased your version of rpict to something else, e.g.
the following in your .cshrc file:

alias robpict 'rpict -ab 1 -ad 2048 -i+ \!*'

Then, every time you ran "robpict" instead of "rpict," you would get
the set of starting options above.  If you ran "robpict -defaults",
you'd get to see these options and how they affect the normal default
values.

In other words, giving an option then overriding it later on the
command line makes sense in terms of creating your own default sets,
which you can incorporate into an alias as above or put into an options
file and read with the @file.opt feature.  Using rad, the render=
variable overrides whatever parameters rad has set for you.

Does this make sense?
-Greg