[Radiance-general] colorpict and materials

Lars O. Grobe grobe at gmx.net
Tue Jun 29 13:34:03 CEST 2004

Hi,

sorry, so again, I try to be clear in asking this time ;-) By the way,
have nice holidays (I hope that's the reason for your travel ;-)!

All is about the question how to map pictures onto a surface without
corrupting its material properties. I understand that colorpict
multiplies the material color components with those of the picture.

If I have a grayscale image processed by normpat (which means that the
average gray value is 1.0) and apply it to a material, the overall
color and brightness will remain the same. So I get the "pattern" from
the image, but the surface still has the correct material properties
(color, brightness etc). I used this so far.

Now I want to use a colored picture for mapping. I also apply normpat
to it, so, as far as I understand, the average of all R, G and B must
be 1.0, right? For example, I use a normpat'ed picture of green marble.
I than apply this using colorpict to a surface, which has a "marble"
material. Will the overall color and brightness still be that of the
defined material, as the picture map has the average of 1.0?

The background: I try to use exact data for material definitions, but
the image maps can't all be color corrected. So I want the overall
color and brightness from defined materials, e.g. from the plastic
material, and use the map only for what I would call "local color
variation". The reason is that I have e.g. red marble, got its color,
brightness and all that defined as plastic marble. But the marble has
blue particles which won't appear if I use a grayscale imagemap. So I
want to use a normpat'ed (NOT colorcorrected e.g. by macbethcal!) to
bring these blue parts onto the surface. The whole surface however must
still have the average color of my plastic marble material.

If I understand the man-page of normpat, that's just what it was
invented for. However, I am a bit unsure, as all Radiance documentation
uses colorpict with a bright white material.

TIA+CU, Lars.
--
Lars O. Grobe
grobe at gmx.net