[Radiance-general] Re: Transparent Textures in Radiance

Greg Ward gward at lmi.net
Tue Jul 20 18:59:08 CEST 2004

Hi Lars,

Using mixpict to achieve transparency can be done in one of two ways.
The preferred method is to specify "void" as one of the alternate
materials, either foreground or background, and where the mixpict
evaluates to 1 (or 0), the surface will be disregarded.  The other
alternative is to specify a trans material with the following
parameters:

void trans passthru
0
0
7 0 0 0 0 0 1 1

If I remember right, this will send the ray straight through without
any alterations, though it is slightly more expensive than using the
"void" modifier.  For more information, check out this entry in the old
Radiance digests:

	http://radsite.lbl.gov/radiance/digests_html/v3n0.html#OPACITY_MAPPING

-Greg