[Radiance-general] Re: help with view direction vector

Sabine Wolf [email protected]
Sun, 22 Feb 2004 16:30:53 +0100

Hi,

> the view vector is or what the values mean. Can anyone
> here either point me towards documentation that
> describes it or give me that crictical piece of
> knowledge that makes it obvious to someonme who knows
> alot of math?

The view vector is just the difference between the point of
interest and the position of your camera. If you want to look at
the point (0,0,0) with the camera at (-1,2,-5)  the view vector
is (1,-2,5). Don't forget the up-vecor, (0,1,0) or (0,0,1) should
be fine for the most cases (according to the orientation of your
scene, Radiance uses rather (0,0,1) (gensky creates a z-upward
oriented sky), but if are more familiar with 3d-programs with y
for up, it might be easier to build scenes that way with (0,1,0).

Sabine