[Radiance-general] defining structured (textured) surfaces in radiance?

Greg Ward [email protected]
Tue, 3 Feb 2004 14:43:57 -0800

Aside from the slight overlap or underlap at the edges depending on
surface curvature, your idea is basically sound.  However, implementing
this idea efficiently in Radiance would be a big challenge.  If we were
to minimize code changes, we'd be using instances of some kind with
clipping, and we'd end up with a lot of overlapping suboctrees.  Many
on this list can tell you their headaches surrounding those if you
haven't had enough of your own.  Getting tighter bounds on the
instanced geometry would require some rather fundamental changes to the
handling of octrees, and still wouldn't completely remedy the problems
with side-by-side instances.  They just don't work that well.

Geometry as a modifier also would entail rewriting the octree
generator, which currently ignores all surface modifiers.  I'm not sure
how much work this would be, but I would say "more than a little."
Unless there is some general need for this kind of rendering in
Radiance or someone with money and/or time to spend on it, I don't see
it happening.

-Greg