[Radiance-general] defining structured (textured) surfaces in radiance?

Greg Ward [email protected]
Tue, 3 Feb 2004 12:21:01 -0800

Implementing displacement maps in Radiance would be extremely
difficult, I believe.  You have to change from a geometric intersection
technique to a "proximity" intersection technique for displaced
surfaces.  I have no idea what form this code would take, or how it
would work.  It seems to me that it would require major overhauls of
both the octree generator and the ray tracing engine.  I don't have
time for it, nor have I the need for such a facility.  Radiance is
designed for architectural models, and the more exotic renderings are
better left to Maya and Renderman, in my opinion.

-Greg