[Radiance-general] printing floating point images

Jelle Feringa // EZCT / Paris jelle.feringa at ezct.net
Thu Dec 2 18:30:56 CET 2004

Wow, thanks for all your feedback!

Seems like the lightjet is an interesting machine.
Generally I'm on par with Jack, I share his view on quality / cost effective
printing.
I had to think about the idea of colout fidelity seeing the art work of Yves
Klein.
Its interesting to see art which main focus is pure colour.
The interesting thing here is that with Radiance, it really isn't difficult
at all to produce this pure kind of colour, your just not being able to get
it out of your machine. I've been printing with Durst Lambda on light boxes,
which is quite an excellent technique, but in the light of pure pigment
colours, everything just looks faint. Hence the quest for 32 bit floating
point output. Looking at the VIPS software
(Supports a large range of numeric types Images can contain 8-, 16- and
32-bit integers, signed or unsigned, 32- and 64-bit floats, and 64- and
128-bit complex numbers, http://www.vips.ecs.soton.ac.uk/vips.php) it seems
that this issue addressed here is relevant.
What good is all that data if your not able to get its full output. Actually
I tried to be in touch with the developers at Durst, to give them the
stunning idea of making a floating point Lamba driver for free, alas, no
response. Looks like this is a dead end so far. Thanks for all your

Jelle.