[Radiance-general] printing floating point images

Mark Stock mstock at umich.edu
Wed Dec 1 15:20:04 CET 2004

Jelle,

This is a very interesting question, and one in which I have an
interest in following. I'll share with you my limited knowledge.

It has been my knowledge from speaking and reading about display
devices (mainly reflective print and transparency film) that film
can record a greater range of brightnesses, allowing it greater
bit depth. Print is hindered by its reflective nature, and the
upper and lower bounds of reflectivity (users of Radiance are
more aware than most that what is normally percieved as white is
probably no more than 70-80% reflective).

I have been assured by professional digital printers that a
good 8-bit-per-channel image gets printed just as well as an
image with grater depth. I may have even been told that the
rasterizer upgrades the bit depth as it upsamples the image.
I can't confirm that, though.

I usually print on a Lightjet 5000. I use ra_tiff to convert my
.pic into a 16-bit-per-channel TIFF, then I use Cinepaint on
Linux to do final adjustments, outputting to an 8bpc TIFF.

Mark