[Radiance-general] printing floating point images

Jelle Feringa // EZCT / Paris jelle.feringa at ezct.net
Wed Dec 1 14:14:17 CET 2004

I wonder if anyone on this list has experience in printing 32 bit floating
point images (radiance pics preferably)? Some years ago I had some vibrant
discussion with Iebele Abel on this matter. I find it a rather frustrating
idea to thrash spending much time and effort getting a physically accurate
rendered image, and thrashing a tremendous amount of image fidelility to get
the image printed, there where it counts most. I've been able to get 16-bit
data images, but what I'm interested in is getting the full scope.
The relevant question indeed is what would be limiting output quality.
Its quite likely paper of photographic means are only able to output so many
colours. I refer to physical limitations, rather than those implied by a
data format.

It seems that film industry has successfully overcome getting lack of colour
fidelity, also thank to the openEXR format (basically a clumsy rip-off of
the radiance image format??) but mostly by actually being able to output the
full scope of the data.

So how would I get this done in print, its quite a concern to me.

Best,

Jelle.