[Radiance-general] glow&spotlight material

Greg Ward gward at lmi.net
Mon Apr 26 16:59:42 CEST 2004

Hi Woogie,

What you are seeing is likely the result of a known anomaly in the
hemispherical sampling pattern used by the indirect calculation in
Radiance.  I think Charles Ehrlich was the first to point this out to
me -- the polar sampling I use on the hemisphere means that the exact
pole is never sampled, and there is a slight dip in the response to
indirect surfaces directly overhead as a result.  Since this is how you
arranged your scene, it is likely that this is the source of the odd
dip in value towards the center of the surface illuminated by the glow
source, as the glow only contributes to the indirect portion of
illuminance.

To fix this problem would complicate the code and only reduce errors in
some very odd circumstances.  There are many other circumstances that
cause similar biases, so I never thought it worthwhile to change it.