[Radiance-general] .oct-instances, overlapping octrees?

Lars O. Grobe grobe at gmx.net
Mon Apr 26 12:18:03 CEST 2004

Hi list.

I have a question regarding the useage of octrees as instances. Are
problems experienced when the bounding boxes of instances overlap, or
only if the actual geometry contained in the instances overlap.

E.g. if I have one hollow cube (instance1) and one small cube
(instance2) inside instance1, the bounding boxes overlap, while the
geometry doesn't conflict (because instance1 is like an empty room,
instance2 like a piece of furniture). Should I expect problems in such
configurations?

The reason for my question is that I am "atomizing" a huge model into
small objects, which will be instances placed by markers. The objects'
geometries will all fit nicely and won't overlap, but of course a lot
of the octrees' bounding boxes will overlap, and I am a bit worried if
this concept will make trouble later...

Greg Ward wrote in a reply to my ideas about geometrical structured
surfaces some time ago:
"If we were to minimize code changes, we'd be using instances of some
kind with clipping, and we'd end up with a lot of overlapping
suboctrees.  Many on this list can tell you their headaches surrounding
those if you haven't had enough of your own.  Getting tighter bounds on
the instanced geometry would require some rather fundamental changes to
the handling of octrees, and still wouldn't completely remedy the
problems with side-by-side instances.  They just don't work that well."

TIA+CU Lars.