[Radiance-general] Radiance Render Server

Georg Mischler schorsch at schorsch.com
Tue Apr 20 19:58:03 CEST 2004

Jeffrey McGrew wrote:

> OK, so I've got this idea to make a Radiance Render server. Basically
> it will be a computer that sits in my closet, running Linux, that I
> can e-mail it a render job and have it e-mail back the finished images.
>
> First off: Before I replicate a bunch of work, is there already
> something like this out there available? I know that Design Workshop
> has a render server available via a web form.

I usually try not to advertise here, but if you ask... ;)

Rayfront has a server component, which makes it possible to
send jobs to other machines on the local network. At the
moment, the user needs to control that manually, but I'm
working on queueing and load distribution functionality.

> Second off: Would it even be feasible to use e-mail as the way to
> submit and receive jobs? The jobs would probably be rather large, so I
> guess I'll have to figure something out. Just seems very simple to
> make some programs that would take an e-mail and run with it than to
> have to build a web front end or something...

Client and server need access to the same disk space,
I don't think that using e-mail scales well enough.

If the server(farm) was offsite (which Rayfront doesn't
allow for reasons of security), other transport mechanisms
would become necessary. Actually, a simple scp might
do the trick.

-schorsch

--
Georg Mischler  --  simulations developer  --  schorsch at schorsch com
+schorsch.com+  --  lighting design tools  --  http://www.schorsch.com/