[Radiance-general] Photon Map?

Roland Schregle [email protected]
Thu, 25 Sep 2003 13:17:32 +0200

Rob Guglielmetti wrote:

> On Wednesday, September 24, 2003, at 05:40 AM, Weismann Stephan wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> wich is the status of the photon map tool, developed by Roland Schregle?
>> At the ISE website i only found a beta version. Will there anywhen
>> come up a
>> 'stable' version?
>> Will there anywhen come up a more comfortable integration into
>> Radiance, or will
>> it be compiled anywhen in the Radiance source?
>

> Hi Stephan,
>
> Forgive me if this had been answered already I am "disconnected" at the
> moment, have not checked my email in several hours and am just sitting
> down now to reply to some others, and will not send this till tomorrow,
> so the info may be a bit stale by then.  The photon map tool was part of
> Roland's PhD, and AFAIK it's sort-of "stalled" right now, he's doing
> some validations and the like.  Also, I believe it *is* stable.  You
> might also wanna check out Francesco Anselmo's compiled source packages;
> you have the option of downloading the Radiance release with the photon
> map module, precompiled, in a variety of formats (.rpm, etc...)  As far
> as future development, you'll have to talk to Roland...

I've all but ceased maintenance on the code and will release another
patch revision in the coming weeks. That will probably be the final
update for the foreseeable future, and it will mostly just fix a few
bugs. I may include stuff to sample arbitrary BRDFs (simply because the
code's already available and some people need that functionality), but
it's insanely slow and thus of virtually no practical use. I now
consider the code pretty much as stable as it can get -- of course I'm
not ruling out minor bugs which only manifest themselves under rare
circumstances, mainly because I never had a comprehensive suite of test
scenes (that's why I rely on user feedback, and I acknowledge those who
helped here).

As for the future, that decision lies in the ISE's hands. As I
understand it, it's their code. I won't maintain it any longer after the
next release (not for free anyway), and I'm not aware of any plans to
continue its development at ISE, either. Plus this
patching-to-by-now-outdated-official-release stuff is cumbersome and
leaves us with a parallel code branch which is incompatible with the
current HEAD release. Since there appear to be a number of fellas out
there who actually *use* this thing (I'll be damned!), a long term
solution must be found. In an ideal world, I'd like to see ISE hand the
code over to the Berkeley crew so they can merge it with the official
distribution and continue maintenance. I'm not sure what ISE's
standpoint is on that, but they should seriously consider it. Maybe they
can work something out with Berkeley. This world being anything but
ideal however, I don't expect to see this anytime soon, and the pmap may
ultimately fade into oblivion. Interested parties might want to get in
touch with my project manager at ISE, Sebastian Herkel
([email protected]), to inquire what's in store for the pmap.

See ya!

--Roland

--
END OF LINE. (MCP)