[Radiance-general] Poser to Radiance

Alex Summerfield [email protected]
Wed, 24 Sep 2003 17:55:55 +0100

Hi Rob and Bernhard

On Wednesday, September 24, 2003, at 01:00 PM, Bernhard Spanlang wrote:

> Also with ambient bounces >0 Radiance has difficulties smoothing the
> normals
> correctly. You will get
> some smoothing artefacts if -ab >0.

I haven't tackled this issue with the poser figures - but it would
probably be worthwhile to remove this type of geometry from the ambient
calculation with -ae or -aE anyway - (at least for architecture rather
than stage work).

btw Rob, (after a long break away) back to that earlier problem of the art
gallery: I know this is contrary to most of the advise - but you know i
still think it worthwhile in principle to render it using brute force -
ie without illums on the coffering (i think that was Martin's original
suggestion). The coffering detail doesn't look complicated enough to have
really caused Radiance probs - and there are enough apertures in the space
that it seems like they should have been picked up by a reasonable setting
for -ad & -as and provide a well behaved indirect lighting distribution.

Usually this is a bloody robust approach, if not working well then there
is almost always a justified suspicion that something else going on - such
as a piece of geometry stuck out in space and messing up -ar and -aa.

And i'd agree with Martin again in that it's good to move away from
relying on RAD - far better to get to grips directly with specifying rpict
parameters. I find that once settled on generally appropriate params for
buildings (accounting for model size in -ar and -aa) - usually switching
between high/low quality, slow/fast rendering can be controlled enough
just via -ab and image size and then -ad -as.

cheers
alex

A. J. Summerfield                 [email protected]
Faculty of Architecture, University of Sydney

Inside a dog, it's too dark to read.       Groucho Marx