[Radiance-general] PFILT is crashing constantly...

Greg Ward [email protected]
Wed, 10 Sep 2003 09:58:58 -0700

Hi Jeffrey,

Pfilt, like many Radiance commands, sends its output to stdout, which
goes to the terminal if you don't redirect it.  It sounds to me like
you're running it so:

	% pfilt [options] input.pic

When you should be running it like this:

	% pfilt [options] input.pic > output.pic

The redireciton to output.pic with the '>' syntax is critical.  Without
it, the binary picture that's produced goes to the terminal, resulting
in a lot of garbage on your screen.

I admit that it doesn't make a whole lot of sense to send binary
information to stdout, but this is the way things work best in Unix,
since you can easily create piped commands, such as sending pfilt
output to ra_* picture conversion programs, etc., using the '|' syntax.

-Greg