[Radiance-general] -ar, -ad, -as, ahh $#*@!

Greg Ward [email protected]
Tue, 9 Sep 2003 08:52:47 -0700

Hi Rob,

This seems to be a classic example of where you just can't rely on the
interreflection calculation in Radiance to solve your problem for you.
The basic assumption in this approximation is that the indirect
illumination varies slowly over surfaces, which clearly isn't the case
in this scene.

Solution: you need to apply mkillum to create pseudo light sources
(imposters) for your indirect luminaires.  To do so, put a shallow box
with an open top around a single ceiling-mounted light source (5
rectangles) and use the "void" modifer for these, making sure they face
out into your room.  Let's say you called this file "light_in.rad".
Using either the octree for your room or a reduced one that just has
that one light source switched on (better), you would run mkillum thus:

% mkillum -ab 1 -ad 512 -as 256 -ar 16 < light_in.rad > light_out.rad

In addition to creating the light_out.rad file, mkillum will generate 5
data files containing the computed output distribution for your
luminaire.  You may then take the light_out.rad and use an array
transform to place it over all the light sources in your scene.  For
the sake of calculational efficiency, I recommend that you also change
the light primitives in your original luminaire files to the "glow"
type with an effective distance equal to the diagonal of your luminaire
dimension, so as to avoid sending shadow rays to these sources
unnecessarily.

The net result should be a fast and accurate rendering of your space.

-Greg