[Radiance-general] Metal Reflection Problem

Marcus Jacobs [email protected]
Mon, 03 Nov 2003 00:15:46 +0000

Dear Group

I have run into an issue with reflections for metal and metal2 materials. In
my models, I am recieving some noisy reflections. In the following scene, I
have modeled some kitchen appliances to have a brushed stainless steel
finish with the following material:

void metal2 brushed_metal_01m1
4	1	1	1	.
0
6 1.0000  1.0000  1.0000  0.75000  0.040 0.075

Here are some renderings of the scene:

http://f1.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/marcdevon/vwp?.dir=/RadiancePics&.dnm=room2a_camera1.jpg&.view=t
http://f1.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/marcdevon/vwp?.dir=/RadiancePics&.dnm=room2a_camera2.jpg&.view=t
http://f1.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/marcdevon/vwp?.dir=/RadiancePics&.dnm=room2a_camera3.jpg&.view=t
http://f1.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/marcdevon/vwp?.dir=/RadiancePics&.dnm=room2a_camera4.jpg&.view=t
http://f1.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/marcdevon/vwp?.dir=/RadiancePics&.dnm=room2a_camera5.jpg&.view=t

Here are some of the pertinent render parameters:

-ps 1 -sj 1 -st 0 -dt 0

The pictures were rendered at 1000 x 1000 and filtered to 500 x 500.

I know that there should be some blurry reflections on the surfaces on the
appliances due to the roughness of the material but I question whether or
not the reflections should look like fractalized noise. They look far more
fractalized in their native *.pic format that the *.jpg format that you see
here. The following is a different scene but with the same appliances and
associated materials as the previous scene. Instead of being illuminated by
daylight, it is illuminated by some illumination squares. Here you can see
the reflections are blurry yet smooth except for the reflection of the
refridgerator handle on the refridgerator door. Here it seems that we have
the same fractalized noise phenomenon (I can provide a close up of this to
show more detail).:

http://f1.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/marcdevon/vwp?.dir=/RadiancePics&.dnm=room1_default1a.jpg&.view=t
http://f1.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/marcdevon/vwp?.dir=/RadiancePics&.dnm=room1_default2a.jpg&.view=t
http://f1.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/marcdevon/vwp?.dir=/RadiancePics&.dnm=room1_default3a.jpg&.view=t
http://f1.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/marcdevon/vwp?.dir=/RadiancePics&.dnm=room1_default4a.jpg&.view=t
http://f1.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/marcdevon/vwp?.dir=/RadiancePics&.dnm=room1_default5a.jpg&.view=t

As a side note, the reflections of the light sources on the floor do not
seem right. I have noticed this before. Does anyone know what's causing
this?

I have tried to figure out what's causing all of this but I can't get
anywhere. I should note that all of the previous scenes were rendered with
Desktop Radiance binaries. I have tested to see if I got similar results
using Radiance 3.6 binaries using CYGWIN. I have confirmed this to be the
case. The folling scene is rendered with Radiance 3.6 binaries for CYGWIN:

http://f1.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/marcdevon/vwp?.dir=/RadiancePics&.dnm=house6a_camera6_filt1.jpg&.view=t

Let me know if anyone has problems viewing these photos.

Thanks

Marcus

Want to check if your PC is virus-infected?  Get a FREE computer virus scan
online from McAfee.