[Radiance-general] Re: Radiance - Mac Performance

Greg Ward [email protected]
Thu, 29 May 2003 22:19:57 -0700

Hi Marcus,

Of course, I'm a big fan of Apple computers.  They offer a great
combination of quality (i.e., sturdiness, reliability, and aesthetics)
over Wintel computers.  However, I'm forced to agree with Rob that in
terms of peformance vis a vis Radiance, your best value is a probably a
home-built, dual-processor Linux box.  I very nearly got one myself,
but decided instead to pay roughly twice as much to get a dual 1.4 GHz
PowerMac G4 with 1 GByte of RAM and a DVD writer for about $3K.  Its
performance and features are comparable to PCs I could have bought
prebuilt for around $1.5K.  The advantage is that I don't have to
administer a Linux system, which I've found in the past to be a pain in
the butt.  Mac OS X, built on FreeBSD, is a snap by comparison, and
what's better is I can run Word and Excel and all those other Microsoft
nasties without having to reboot into another system.  Better still, I
get to run Photosphere, which I've spent two years developing and don't
have time to port to other systems right now.

The hype about the G4 being superior for scientific applications is a
PR effort by Apple to save face for a processor that despite many
design superiorities, just hasn't kept pace with Intel and AMD's
aggressive speed increases.  To be fair, you can use the Altvec
processor (a short vector SIMD on the G4) to get substantial speed
boosts if you go to the extra work to use it.  I haven't done any
custom hardware coding in Radiance, and I'm unlikely to in the future.
Others are welcome, of course.

In your case, a dual-processor Wintel machine with dual-boot into Linux
or (my recommendation) FreeBSD may be the best option with your
existing software investment.

I don't know what a 64-bit processor will buy in terms of Radiance
performance.  Other than getting past the 2 GByte memory addressing
limit, there might be some improvement in floating point speed since
you can load double's into registers, but 64-bit integers are not
really useful as far as I'm concerned.

-Greg