[Radiance-general] Re: Using OBJ2MESH utility

Greg Ward [email protected]
Tue, 13 May 2003 20:18:51 -0700

Hi John,

> From: "Digital Architectural Illustration Services"
> <[email protected]>

> I have just updated my web page again with a final comparison between
> the
> smoothed / texture mapped results of OBJ2MESH against the results of
> ConRAD
> software, which is very similar. The results may be worth looking at,
> since
> the tests seem to have revealed minor distortions in the UV mapping
> co-ordinates exported by OBJ2MESH.  A more detailed discussion of these
> issues can be found at:
>
> http://www.daiservices.btinternet.co.uk/Radiance/Radiance_v3_5_UNIX/
> Phong_shading_and_bitmap_textures/> Phong_shading_and_bitmap_textures.htm

Very strange -- I have no idea where this distortion is coming from.  I
conducted a little test of my own to see if something was wrong with
the mesh rendering code, but I got perfectly straight lines when I
mapped a grid picture onto a similar cylinder.  If you e-mail me your
.OBJ file <[email protected]>, I'll see if I can figure out what's going
on.  What is the ConRAD program?  I haven't heard of that one.

-Greg